Outreach and DEI Activities
- In 2017, I recorded The saga of Farlin, 300 million years in the making for Montana Public Radio and the Montana Natural History Center’s Field Notes program. It aired originally in July 2017 and again in July 2020.
- In 2021, I joined the American Geophysical Union’s Voices for Science program.
- March 2021, Organizer/Host, Equinox Storytelling Summit with Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center
- Spring 2021, Member, Unlearning Racism in Geoscience (URGE): UW-Madison Geo2 Pod
- In February 2022, I published an essay, A Story Written in Ice: Reading Wisconsin’s Landscape, in Wisconsin People & Ideas magazine.
- In March 2022, I publish a piece of creative nonfiction (scientific storytelling), Of Icicles and Ice Sheets, in Agate Magazine.
- In April 2022, I gave a talk on the geology of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for Friends of the Boundary Waters. You can view a recording here.
- In July 2022 I published a “prose poem” about Wisconsin’s glacial history as part of Layered in Time, alongside Marica Bjornerud and Eric Carson.
Letters to the Editor (non-geology advocacy)
- Wisconsin State Journal, June 3, 2020 – Johnson, not Evers, needs a spine
- Wisconsin State Journal, February 17, 2020 – Reinvest tax cut funds in the future
- Billings Gazette, February 5, 2019 – Fox’s energy policy is dangerous
- Billings Gazette, August 31, 2018 – Tester proves his honesty in office
- Billings Gazette, June 16, 2018 – Tester meets, listens to Montanans
- Billings Gazette, May 6, 2018 – GOP makes healthcare partisan